Friday, April 13, 2012
Product Placement
Product placement is an advertising strategy in which a real commercial product is used in fictional media, and the presence of the product is the result of an economic exchange between the company and the business that produces the product. (321) I think that this is an effective way for companies to advertise because it is hitting their target market without having to use a commercial. For example, the text says the logo for a sports apparel company may appear on sports uniforms and equipment. This is great advertising because if a runner is wearing Nike’s and their race is televised, someone who is watching is likely interested in running and in turn may think, “Wow, this person just won a super long race and was wearing Nikes, that must be a great brand of shoes to buy” which may lead to them purchasing the shoes in turn bringing profit to the company.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your example of the runner seeing Nike shoes and correlating them with great running. I think product placement, as well as any type of advertising, helps with brand recognition. I think product placement is very effective because just being exposed to a brand name allows us to recognize the brand when the time comes. For example, say you are in the market for something you’ve had no experience with, say a GPS. You go out to the store and recognize the brand Magellan, this has nothing to do with the quality, but you recognize it because you have seen it mentioned in movies or shows. In some instances you even purchase the item because you have heard of the brand before, which must mean it is a good product.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very good example of how product placement is used. i have experienced a very similar situation. I play basketball and before every game the referee come by each player to look at our socks. If we have more than one nike swoosh on each sock then we cant wear that socks. I saw that as the most stupidest rule, but now that i think about it, it may be because they want to prevent from over marketing a certain product because our games are shown on tv. Nike is a big company that goes to great lengths to make sure that their product is knowm, they put their swoosh on any and everything they can get their hands on.
ReplyDeleteProduct placement is very smart strategy especially when trying to promote your product. As a baseball player I understand how this strategy comes into play. For example, a lot of my friends like to buy the gear or clothes of what their favorite baseball player is using. I remember when I was a kid and I was watching this baseball player, who is one of the fastest guys I’ve seen so I bought the cleats he was wearing thinking it’s because of the shoes. Movies and sports influence a lot of viewers to go buy certain products. Companies love when professional athletes wear their gear because kids buy whatever the athletes wear. Product placement is very successful in marketing strategies.
ReplyDeleteI think that product placement is also a very effective way of marketing. An example of how effective product placement is with Jell-o and Kleenex. Most people don’t know that Jell-o is not the normal name for gelatin but instead it is just a company of gelatin. And nowadays everyone just addresses gelatin as Jell-o. Similarly Kleenex is also just a company name; it is really just called tissue. But now everyone addresses it as Kleenex. This just proves the effectiveness of product placement as a marketing strategy. In my opinion this is by far the most effective way of getting people to buy things because they see the name that they are familiar with.
ReplyDelete