Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Use of an Inductive Argument in the Past Week

Something happened recently that I didn’t want to keep to myself and felt the need to confide in a friend. While I have a lot of friends I feel that I can talk to about anything, there are certain issues that I don’t feel comfortable discussing with just anyone. This is mainly because I didn’t want anyone repeating what I was telling them. According to the text, if an argument is inductive, you should look for certain words that suggest that the conclusion probably, rather than necessarily follows the premise. The book goes on to say that these include words and phrases such as probably, most likely, chances are that it is reasonable to suppose that, we can expect that and it seems probable that. (203) I believe I used inductive reasoning when choosing who to call first in the following way. I thought; Trustworthy friends keep conversations private. I have confided in a particular friend before who has kept our conversation private. <<

3 comments:

  1. I know that feeling of having something you just have to share with someone. It’s kind of like money burning a hole in your pocket :) I can also relate to you because although you may trust many of your friends, it is hard to know who will definitely keep something to themselves or even completely understand the situation. Since it is so hard to determine the right friend to confide in, inductive reasoning leads you to the conclusion; “he/she PROBABLY won’t tell because they have kept my secrets before.” This is the only way to decide who to tell because you can only speculate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing who you tell things to can be hard at times because not everyone is trustworthy. I no the feeling when you find something out and you have to tell someone but finding the right person can be a task. Everyone has that one friend they can tell everything and they wont judge them. I have a friend that I can tell everything and she won’t tell a soul but those kinds of people are hard to come by now days. Using your inductive reasoning I’m sure that you found the right person to confide in and you have nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand and can relate to the issue and inductive argument at hand. This is similar to considering when to drive to a location and avoid traffic, what outfit to wear based on the weather the day before, and debating whether or not it is worth going to class based on the last lecture. I would have liked to see you write out an actual inductive argument to go along with the process you went through in deciding who to confide in. Maybe something along the line as, “I want to confide in a close friend. Julia is my closest friend who I tell almost everything to. Chances are, if I confide in Julia she will keep it a secret”.

    ReplyDelete